MA, graphic & packaging designer, doctoral student.
The focus of my doctoral research is in investigating the purposefully designed multi-sensory qualities that packaging can have for communicating and engaging with its users.
I also work as a project researcher for LOHASPACK Tekes-project (2011–2014), which is concerned with packaging experiences for LOHAS-consumers (Lifestyles Of Health And Sustainability). The aims of LOHASPACK are:
- To increase and spread LOHAS knowledge and understanding in package value networks
- Study means of communicating health, wellness, ecology, ethical and social responsibility through packaging design
- Develop consumer research methods for testing multi-sensory package concepts
In addition to this I teach packaging design for graphic designers at the Department of Media and administer and teach PACK-AGE: Interdisciplinary Packaging Design Project, which is a joint project between several schools and involving real cases from the industry.
Fields of expertise:
- Packaging design and packaging aesthetics
- Visual communication and sensory modalities
- LOHAS (Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability) consumerism
- Packaging usability and user experience
- Sustainable packaging design and systems
- Teaching and managing packaging design projects
Markus Joutsela in ReseDa Research Database.